Do you want to know the secret to pass your Jamb 2020 successfully and getting a high score that ensured you gain admission into any Nigerian university of your choice?
If you are ready, then drop everything you are doing and pay attention to this point. In this article, I will share with you how you can pass your Jamb excellently.
Let’s dive in.
What is JAMB?
JAMB also known as Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board. It is the body responsible for conducting the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination for prospective students seeking admission into Nigerian tertiary institutions. Since 1978 when the organization was founded, the body has organized and determined the admission of students into Nigerian tertiary institutions.
When Is JAMB 2020 Going To Take Place?
There is no date fixed yet for Jamb UTME 2020.
Contrary to the false information spreading, the registration for JAMB 2020 has not commenced and there is no announced date for the exams yet. The news spreading can be based on the fact that in previous years, registration started around December of the preceding year. But this year, things seem to be different.
JAMB also announced that applicants are very likely to be required to identify themselves with the NIN (National Identification Number) and so, the board urges all prospective applicants to make sure to take part in the ongoing NIN registration before it is too late.
How to Pass Jamb UTME 2020 Successfully by Step by Step
- Register for NIN
- Determine on the score you want to get
- Study wide
- Start studying past questions
- Study with exam-focused textbook
- Practice timed test with past questions
- Rest and Eat well.
Every examination is nerve-racking. As humans, we just generally get anxious about examinations even when we know that we have a high chance of acing it. So, how can you get past the nerves – or at least, reduce it? By preparing adequately. How do you prepare adequately for the 2020 JAMB UTME?
Now let’s discuss them in full one after the other.
- Register for NIN: This might not seem like part of the examination but it is as important as the main examination itself. While JAMB has not categorically said the NIN will definitely be a requirement, the board has made it clear that it will likely be a requirement. Therefore, it is important to be safe than sorry. Even if they end up changing their mind about requiring NIN, you have nothing to lose for having it. So, while there is still time, it is important to go register now.
- Determine the score you want now: According to the Holy Book, “as a man thinks in his heart, so is he.” It is very important that you settle in your mind the score you are aiming for. This will give you a goal and help your study be focused. However, this is not really determined by what you want or feel you can achieve, but what the course and institution you want to apply to require. Luckily, you have the JAMB brochure or institution brochure to check the cut-off mark, so you have an idea of what you should be aiming for. It is, however, advisable, to aim higher than what you need. So, in case there is any issue, you can – at least – drop to the score you need. According to a wise saying, “aim for the moon’ if you miss, you may hit a star.”
- Study wide: No matter how much you pray or how much faith you have, if you do not study, you will be wasting your time. Studying is the only solution to doing excellently well in any exam. It is advisable to start studying now. It is more profitable to study for even an hour consistently until the exams than to try to study the whole syllabus in a few days. The JAMB UTME is even more difficult than the school examination because you can get questions from any year of Secondary School. This is why it is important to start studying early. It is also great to study widely to acquire knowledge and not just for the mentality to pass the exams. This is not only good for you in the long run but also because some of the questions might come from general knowledge.
- Study past questions: Due to the bulky nature of the syllabus you are expected to concentrate on, it is pertinent to get some sort of direction. This is what past questions will offer to you. Get at least past questions of the last 5 years (or 10 years), so you can study the pattern of questioning and also have an idea the direction to take when studying. Most exams usually follow the same pattern and many times, they repeat the same questions. The patterns will help you streamline your study and the repeated questions will keep you from wasting time on them in the examination hall because you already know the answer to them.
- Study exam focus textbooks: Based on the title, exam focus textbooks points you to the focus of the examination. As pointed out above, one of the major issues candidates have is the bulky nature of the syllabus and it can be so overwhelming that study becomes a chore. Exam focus has made that job easier because they have put together the focus of the exam in one textbook. The beauty of these textbooks is that they come in different subjects, so you can get for the subjects you are registering for. They also have practice questions to help you practice for the UTME. However, you need to remember that this does not mean you shouldn’t go an extra mile to study outside the scope of the textbooks because you never can tell with an exam and no knowledge is a waste.
- Practice timed tests with the past questions: JAMB UTME is about speed and accuracy. You might be good but you also have to be fast. So, you should definitely practice within the set time or less that JAMB will give you. It is advisable to do this as regularly as you can, especially in the weeks close to the examination, so you can master it.
- Rest and eat well: Yes, you need to rest as well while you study. This is why it is great to start studying early. Most of the people who don’t have time to rest properly are those who start studying late and want to cover the syllabus in a few days. Rest and good food is important when preparing for an examination. Your brain is working even more during that period and it needs to be fuelled and recharged.
Passing Jamb does not require any special skill sets. All you need to do is prepare well by following the tips in this article.
Check out the full Jamb Syllabus 2020
PS: Not yet check your WAEC result? You can do so by purchasing the WAEC Result Checker Online here